Instructions on Yogotherm cultures are for guidance only and work in most cases. However, depending on the type of milk and even its lot number, the required fermentation time may vary. It is therefore important to experiment!
Here are more specific instructions depending on the type of milk:
Milk of animal origin
– Cow’s milk: Can be used for all Yogotherm cultures according to the instructions on the pouch. The fermentation time may vary depending on the lot purchased.
– Ewe’s milk: Can be used for all Yogotherm cultures. The fermentation time may take longer than the one for cow’s milk because this type of milk contains a lot of fats and proteins.
– Goat milk: Can be used for all Yogotherm cultures. Specifically for yogurt, its texture will be much more liquid than the one obtained with cow’s milk. To thicken it, it’s possible to boil the milk to evaporate a quarter of the volume before following the instructions on the pouch.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: The best milk to use with the Yogotherm cultures is pasteurized milk. Microfiltered or ultrafiltered milks are less successful because they don’t have the same composition. It’s also preferable to use whole milk (3.25% fat) rather than skim milk for the yogurt and fresh cheese in order to have a thicker texture. However, skim milks can be used for the kefir making without issues.
– Soy and coconut milk: Can be used for Yogotherm Kefir and Yogurt cultures. The fermentation time will vary greatly depending on the plant-based source and the lot purchased.
– Almond, rice and oat milk: Can be used for Yogotherm Kefir cultures only. The fermentation time will vary greatly depending on the plant-based source and the lot purchased.
– Other drinks: Feel free to try!
ADDITIONAL NOTES: The lots of plant-based drinks are extremely variable even for the same product. Therefore, it’s very difficult to predict the fermentation time. The texture also varies a lot depending on the drink used. Only soy milk provides enough proteins to make yogurt, but some brands of coconut milk can also offer an interesting texture.