(For the cake)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- ¾ cup + 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, not packed
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of full fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of boiling water
(For the icing)
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- ½ cup of fresh cheese
- ½ cup of cocoa
- ¼ cup of dark chocolate, melted
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (°F). Lightly spray a 8 inches round pan with non-stick spray (optional, but it does help them peel right off).
- Melt the oil, butter, and chocolate together in the microwave, heating in 30 second increments, and stirring between each increment. Whisk the mixture until completely smooth; set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt; stir together until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk, sugars, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the cooled oil/butter/chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the Greek yogurt. Repeat the process until everything is added, and be sure to mix until evenly combined – then quickly stir in the hot water. It’s important not to over mix, here! Just stir until evenly combined.
- Put the batter in your prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the icing
Mix all the ingredients in the mixer until the icing is smooth. Cut the cake in half. Glaze the first cake with half of the mix. Add the 2nd cake and glaze the top. Garnish with fruits and dark chocolate.